Food. Most women, especially Manhattan body-conscious women, shake just from the word. Creating the balance of a healthy and happy lifestyle diet is a long journey for most of us. Not to mention genius marketers have only complicated our minds with buzz words and new diet trends such as paleo, juicing, dash, weight watchers, atkin, etc.
I look at eating as not only nourishment for my body, but as an experience itself. I take pride in my balance that I've found - I could never be on a diet so strict I wouldn't taste my man's steak. My diet is not black and white.
First the prep talk; I am not a medical professional. There is a LOT of information out there. I am simply sharing some of my personal favorites. You have to take this information and tailor it to something that works for you.
5 days a week I eat Vegan, Gluten Free and no refined sugars
I started this 5 months ago, and it has been very easy. I have clearer skin, more energy, feel less bloated and I can easily maintain my slender figure. During the weekend friends are often confused because they will see me taking a bite of someones burger or ordering fish. I generally eat Vegan M-F. Living in Manhattan makes it very easy as the options are endless for delicious vegan food. If date night lands during the week, I move my vegan dinner to the weekend. Flexibility and self control are the main factors of this lifestyle. After a weekend of travel and less strict dietary rules, I can't wait to cleanse my body with clean eating.
Tips I follow:
- I never keep unhealthy snacks in my apartment.
- I always stock healthy snacks. Such as carrots, hummus, apples, almond butter, etc.
- I sign up for at least 3 group fitness classes a week. Group fitness classes keep me in check of my stamina, motivation and progress. ( I teach already 4 times a week)
- For sweets, I keep it dairy-free and gluten-free. I love Hu Kitchen Chocolate. (I have the biggest sweet tooth!)
- I drink alcohol only 2x a week ... at maximum
- When traveling, I make sure to have FUN. Eat that dessert and try that lobster roll!
- I travel almost every weekend. However, I keep my lifestyle active even on vacation ; always keep myself moving whether it's biking around town or swimming in the ocean.
- Every morning, I start with a vegan protein smoothie.
- I do NOT eat anything packaged. Think Thin Bars, Kind Bars, Cliff, none of them. If I am hungry, I am going to eat something from this earth. Packaged items are always going to be chemically enhanced.
- I don't deprive myself. After eating a large meal, if I am still hungry.. I'll eat a snack such as an apple. Women often forget how many nutrients we need, after all we child bear and have a raging menstrual cycle.
- I drink only a half cup of coffee in the morning then all day sparkling water, water, green tea, water and did I mention water? If I choose to drink my calories, it is a glass of wine.
Finally, I don't beat myself up. There is enough stress in life! If I want a simple carb, I eat it! If I have a bad day, there is always tomorrow. My body has adapted to crave certain foods that make me feel the most energized.
Look forward to a future post on one of my morning vegan smoothie recipes :).
What are your health secrets?